Friday, March 7, 2014

Losing My Train of Thought

One day this week I found myself lying in bed watching music videos from my favorite show as a child, Thomas the Tank Engine. Beginning in 1984, the show was made using miniature model trains on a meticulously crafted set. Of course looking back, as a child, I always thought everything was life-sized. Obviously now I know that is not true, but if watch long enough I truly begin to believe I'm watching something actually shot on an actual railroad.

I really appreciated the using of actual landscapes as opposed to CGI. In that time period, CGI didn't exist. The fact that the environment was physically crafted by humans was impressive, and in my opinion is just as impressive today. It just gives off a feel that CGI cannot. Just knowing how much work was put into the design makes it all the more enjoyable to watch. As an adult now watching the show for nostalgic value, I can really appreciate all the hard work that was put into it.

I read that in 2009, the show (still in production) completely switched over to CGI. That was extremely disappointing to read. Just because something can be updated doesn't mean it should be. Now of course I realize CGI takes a lot of hard work as well. But it's just not the same as crafting with one's own hands.  It truly is a dying art.

1984




2012



No comments :

Post a Comment