Friday, August 29, 2014

Weeds

For my first blog post of the semester, I wanted to talk a little about the intro to the Showtime show, Weeds. Weeds was created by Jenji Kohan and it has been a personal favorite of mine ever since I started watching it. I wanted to talk about this intro for my first post because this intro is the reason why I started watching the show. Instead of talking about the intro, I'll let you see it for yourself:


For those of you not familiar with the show, it is about a white, middle/upper-class, family from the suburbs of California that has been thrown a curveball when the father dies unexpectedly. To deal with this hardship, Nancy (the main character and mother of two) turns to selling weed to her community in order to keep her "white picket fence" image.

Why I like this intro in particular is the fact that it depicts the nature of suburbia perfectly. And, the use of animation only amplifies the feelings of rapid growth and homogeneity of the suburban life.

The show also throws in some fun animations in the intro that are specific to the feelings of the episode or what is going down in the episode to follow. The use of animation in for these hints at the episode make watching the show intro fun because they change by episode. All in all, I think this intro and the animation used in it creatively set the scene for the television program and it really makes the show special.

No comments :

Post a Comment