Friday, April 12, 2013

The PSA That Went Viral


This has been bouncing around online now for a little bit, so you might have seen it already.  Reactions are mixed, some find it funny, some find it dumb.  I thought it was funny when I first saw it, although it has an annoying habit of getting stuck in your head.  Regardless of your opinion of it, it is a very successful animation.  The reason for that is that it is actually a PSA for train safety.  Since the goal of a PSA is exposure, the creators did that by creating an animation designed to go viral, which it did, rather spectacularly.  Four months later, the  best proof of that is the number of knockoffs that you'll find on Youtube.  When I searched it up in order to post it here, these are the other suggestions I got in my search box:

Dumb Ways to Die Youtube Search
Once there's a Minecraft version, you know you're doing something right...
When I clicked through to Youtube, there was even a Harlem Shake version listed.  It's definitely made its mark on the internet.  I don't know how effective its been at preventing train-related injuries, but it has gotten lots of exposure.  Here's some more info about how it was made.

Source: dumbwaystodie.com
Created by: McCann

No comments :

Post a Comment