Friday, November 21, 2014

Too Many Cooks

Too Many Cooks is one of the funniest things I've seen all year, and should probably be nominated for an Oscar.  I don't want to give too much exposition, because I believe this 11 minute short serves best going in blind, but I promise you won't be disappointed if you haven't seen it yet. It's already gone viral, so there's good chance you have, but it only came out about a month ago so it's still pretty fresh. I give you, Too Many Cooks.


Adult Swim aired this video at 4 in the morning on October 28th with absolutely no warning whatsoever. Imagine waking up randomly at 4 in the morning to Too Many Cooks. I'd be absolutely scared out of my mind. I appreciate they did that though, because I feel like that adds to the atmosphere of the insanity that occurs especially in the last couple minutes.

Regardless, I think this video is absolutely genius, and much of that has to do with the hilarious animation, again mostly happening at the back end of the video. The explosions, sci-fi graphics, transformations, and role switching of the characters and their title cards are all hysterical uses of animation in a video that otherwise doesn't use a lot of CGI. Whats most important to note for me is that none of the animation looks particularly realistic or even professional, but at the end of the day that quality definitely adds to the humor of the video. This shows that animation can be useful to a project even when on a low budget. I think the low-budget look was on purpose here, but the point stands all the same.

Also, after you've watched this video, go back to the beginning and try to catch all the times the killer with the machete appears in the background. I didn't notice him at ALL the first time around, but he's definitely there and often in plain sight. This creeped the hell out of me the second time around, but it was also, again, hysterical.

No comments :

Post a Comment