Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Bingo (1998 Maya Animation)

I watched this video last semester in my Computer Art and Animation course. I thought of it as soon as I heard we would be learning how to animate in Maya. It was created to demonstrate what one could do with the software in 1998 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bingo_(1998_film).

(Unfortunately, Wikipedia seems to be the only detailed source of information regarding this animation.)

I think this was a great story to tell with animation. The professor who showed this to me
liked to say that animation is an excellent medium to create what's not possible in real life. A good example of this is shown at 0:42. The clown's head begins to grow larger as he yells at our protagonist, creating a much more threatening image. Had this scene been created with real people, it certainly wouldn't have been as fear inducing as it was here. This exaggerated image helps the viewers empathize a bit more with the small man in the chair, by showing us exactly how afraid he is. Not everyone is scared of clowns--even if they're yelling-- but I'm sure anyone would frightened of the giant monster portrayed in the short.

Despite its age, this animation is certainly still a gem and is worth a watch (or two).


No comments :

Post a Comment