Thursday, January 23, 2014

Dr. Wholock (To all the sci-fi nerds out there . . . )

I'm a huge fan of Sherlock, and even though I only casually watch Dr. Who I couldn't help appreciating this amazingly seamless crossover video between the two randoms.


When I first saw it, my mouth kind of dropped and I just left it at that. The guy who created this created a link to the VFX breakdown but I didn't bother to watch it because I just figured it would be way over my head. Even after just one day of class in Motion Graphics and Animation, I seem to have a little more of a grip on how something like this would be created.

Here, he breaks where he used Photoshop, After Effects and Premiere to create the short. After watching this, seeing how he added a TARDIS into one of the shots while Sherlock looked out the window seemed so much more basic than some of the more sophisticated VFX he used, like changing the characters' clothing and animating the actors' faces. This explains why the interaction between The Doctor and Sherlock felt so realistic and natural, as if the characters were actually standing in a TARDIS, speaking to one another in real time.

Overall, super impressive. The Sherlock/Dr. Who fandoms thank you, John Smith.

No comments :

Post a Comment