Friday, September 27, 2013

Music Going Visual

After our latest class I got really excited about how to create compelling visual pieces that follow music. Music, as we know, is an experience made entirely for the ears. It's beautiful like that, because we can focus on just one of our senses. Music videos are nice, but much less of our attention is on the music. With motion graphics that follow the sounds of music, I believe it actually enhances our attention to it. Every beat, lick, and slide we can not only hear, but see. There was a TED Talk I saw recently (which I'm having trouble finding right now... I'll post it later if I can.) which explained how we experience thing better if it engages more of our senses. They used sex as an example, because it engages pretty much all of the senses. Now, I'm not going to compare these motion graphic videos to sex... but it's a very similar idea. These videos are engaging more of our senses!

What I really wanted to show you is this video I saw a while back. It was made to James Blake's song, "Limit to Your Love".
BEFORE YOU PALY IT, please be aware that the audio will not play properly if you listen to it right out of your laptop. The bass is at such a low frequency that most MacBooks can't handle it.  I highly recommend plugging in a sound system or some nice headphones to get the full experience. And without further adieu:


I thought this was a perfect example of how visuals can increase a song's experience. When I first watched this video I said "Wow... that's really cool." Now, I watch this video and say "HOW DID THEY DO THAT? I MUST KNOW." It seems very doable yet incredibly complex at the same time. I think I have a long way to go before I can do anything like this... but I'm excited for when I do get to that point.


EDIT:

I just learned that the original song was by Leslie Feist, and I'm a fan of giving credit where it's due so make sure you check out the original!
(Although, sorry Feist, I kind of like James Blake's version better. Maybe that's just my unnatural teenage mind.)




No comments :

Post a Comment