Friday, September 14, 2012

New Challenges

I'm running into some exciting and daunting new challenges in life. The other night after class I had a discussion with Professor Sinclair on what it takes to be a part of the games industry, to help refocus myself and my goals. I expected his answer, but I have yet to get a grip on my reaction. In other words, I am both excited and intimidated and once again do not know which career path within the industry to pursue.

One area we specifically talked about that got me really excited was in 3D modelling, using a program called Maya. I have had some trouble downloading the program, but once I do I plan to really play around with it and see what it can do. I started looking up videos of what people have done with such a program and I was blown away... here is one example I found on youtube:

Yah... nuts. So it looks like this is a combination of several programs; Photoshop, 3Ds Max (similar in power to Maya), Mudbox (?), Brazil (for rendering I believe) and After Effects. These are the programs that I am just starting to scratch the surface of... I have a long way to go before I can pull something off like what this guy has done. My goals for this summer are to find an internship when I go to LA, (I'm looking at both Blizzard and Doublefine!) and I believe knowledge of this program will greatly help my chances. Hopefully by the end of this semester I will be able to post something that has some kind of 3D modelling in it, but nothing close to what this guy has done! If you are somewhere out there, Nareg Kalenderian...TEACH ME YOUR WAYS

No comments :

Post a Comment