Friday, September 21, 2012

Toy Story:The First Feature Length Computer Animated Movie

The Toy Story franchise has always been very close to my heart. I was roughly the same age as the boy in the story (Andy) when each of the three movies came out, and the idea that my toys were alive was kind of really cool when I saw the first one (I was like 5 or 6 at the time) Part of the reason I loved these movies so much was because of how great the animation is. The toys all have different textures (Rex the dinosaur is scaly, Woody is sewn together, Buzz is plastic) and those textures show really well in all of the scenes. Sometimes the toys act like they aren't alive and the fall realistically (Woody's arms hang while Buzz's are stiff) The amount of detail and thought that had to go into every scene, movement, and action of each toy is amazing. I really do think that Toy Story helped shape my imagination, and I would be very interested in learning how it was made.

From the video I posted, I learned that they had to build their own animating programs, and that it took them at least 6 years from start to finish to make the first Toy Story movie. I also realized how far we have come in computer animation in the past 15 years.

No comments :

Post a Comment