Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Space Jam & Greenscreens

I'm pretty sure the first movie I ever saw using Green Screen to insert a real-life character into a completely animated movie was "Space Jam". I own this movie on VHS and I used to watch it all the time as a kid. The other one I remember was "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?", but for whatever reason I think Space Jam stuck with me more, even though Roger Rabbit is probably a better movie. Who can deny the Looney Tunes? I remember as a kid wondering how they inserted Michael Jordan into the cartoon, and it's funny to me now how obvious it looks. It's also astounding how easy it actually is to do stuff like this, especially when your lead actor is Michael Jordan, and nobody is expecting an Oscar-winning performance. Still, I love this movie. For your viewing enjoyment, the final basketball game between the Tune Squad and Monstars:






And as a bonus, the ESPN 30 for 30 on this legendary game between the Looney Tunes and Monstars. Here they reflect on the majesty of this historic game. They also acknowledge the tragic death of Foghorn Leghorn in the first half, where he was burned alive. Truly heartbreaking.





No comments :

Post a Comment