Thursday, March 31, 2016

Kubo and the Two Strings

If you're a fan of the stop motion animation films that have been produced by Laika studios (they're known for producing Coraline, ParaNorman, and The Boxtrolls, as well as contract work for Corpse Bride,) then you may have heard about their new film that's releasing this summer, Kubo and the Two Strings.  
Like the films mentioned above, this is a 3D stop-motion animated film that provides some glorious visual effects that is just a pleasure to watch, and this is only the trailer.  When I first saw this trailer, I had the same reaction to it as I did to when I first saw a preview for Steven Universe: I thought that there is definitely some potential to this film and I can see it doing really well.  In a way, the film's style reminds me a lot of Steven Universe.  The scenes have a very distinct color grade to enhance the mood, there's plenty of mystery to it that makes me look forward to seeing it, the fight scenes look very well choreographed, and it incorporates music with very specific instruments to highlight a character's personality and fighting style.

The art style and character design reminds me a lot of those from Over the Garden Wall and Samurai Jack as well, and coupled with the coming-of-age story arc of Steven Universe, this seems like it could be the animated film of the summer that could be enjoyed by all ages.  I recommend giving the trailer a watch if you haven't already.

No comments :

Post a Comment