Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Math and Modeling

Math for Maya: I am really interested in math and computer science and getting to work with Maya was very exciting. A lot of my math courses involved modeling and working with surfaces and shapes in 3D space. I am really intrigued by the calculations and computations it takes to get Maya to work so smoothly. I wanted to research how the program worked.

I started with looking into the mathematics of NURBS (Non-Uniform Rational B-Splines). These are parameterized curves that are mathematically represented as either exact conics or piecewise polynomial curves. I was able to read about NURBS in the AutoDesk MAYA manual.


Non-uniform surface formed from control points and control polygons.

Tool for Mathematicians:
In addition to finding that math that makes Maya happen, I found some videos of how Maya helps in mathematical visual representation. These are videos of intense and complex mathematical abstract sculptures.




Math for Artists:
It is helpful when creating graphics or models in 2D or 3D space to have a geometry memory refresh! This is an interesting tutorial about math in 3D modeling.




No comments :

Post a Comment