Friday, April 27, 2012

LASER CATS 7

It is getting close to the end of the semester and I think that this class succeeded in making me more aware of effects and motion graphics in films. For example, I was watching SNL when a skit called "Laser Cats" came on. The link is down below because I couldn't find it on youtube. This skit is suppose to look crappy and amateur but in reality they did quite a lot of postproduction work to pull it off. As I was watching I was trying to figure out in my head how they did all of the effects. They used the green screen 3 different times. The first was when the bad guys threatened to take EAT, then for the giant cat in the hospital, and finally when they were flying through the air on their bikes.

Another effect that they used was drawing in a fake glowing jump-rope for Bill Hader to hold in the beginning. This was done easily by drawing in a purple rope and then applying some sort of glow effect. At the end of the clip when EAT gets taken away it looks as if they created a red shape layer, turned down it's opacity, and moved it across the screen.

These effects, with them being so simplistic, got me thinking about how I would create them using After Effects. It was really cool to look at the SNL skit and be able to say I could do that.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/15/spielberg-directs-laser-cats-snl-andy-samberg_n_1426696.html

No comments :

Post a Comment