Friday, September 18, 2015

VHS Effect

In anticipation for the Name Project, I'd like to share one of my favourite YouTube videos. I've decided to go with a 90's VHS style effect for my project, since I love trying to mimic things in After Effects. A great example of this is the following video, in which someone cut together a 90's style opening to Game of Thrones.



There are so many things I love about this video. First of all is the look. I've tried VHS-ing videos myself, and it's a lot of fun trying to degrade the quality. However, it's not as easy as simply dropping the resolution. Film grain and scan lines need to be added. Chromatic aberration (seen in the following image) also helps achieve the look.


Also experimenting with the Fractal Noise effect in After Effects can help add the "fuzz" often seen in VHS tapes.

I also love the editing in the video. Certain shots are chosen which suit the style, and go well with the high-pass filtered music.

Here's another great example of the effect put over Breaking Bad.


No comments :

Post a Comment