Saturday, September 17, 2011

Animation Reel

So I know reels have been mentioned several times before in class, and I haven't seen a whole lot of reels, so I was really excited when I came across the reel of this one animator whose work I've been looking through. David Stodolny (who is now a head animator for Dreamworks, I think) made the video "Harrey Podder: Say the Magic Word," if anyone's seen that (I'll embed it later, it's funny), and has worked on movies like Surf's Up, The Wild, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, and How to Train Your Dragon. While looking at some of his Youtube videos, I found his reel. Unfortunately, I can't embed it (it said 'disabled by request'), but you can watch it here.

The reel isn't flashy or anything, but I think it gets across what he can do now and what he started off doing (the pencil animation of the guy falling off the world is part of an animation he did in college, which I can actually embed. He was legit in college, too). It's the first animation reel I've seen, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I thought it was pretty cool.



And for anyone interested in the Harrey Podder video, it's here. He also has some making-of videos for it, too, those are pretty cool.


1 comment :

  1. Pay attention to the words formed by the foam on the water as the guy falls down the earth. They contain a VERY IMPORTANT MESSAGE!!!

    ReplyDelete