Sunday, September 25, 2011

Soul Surfer

This summer I Redboxed the story of Bethany Hamilton in the movie Soul Surfer. It was a good movie and afterwards I watched the extra specials in the menu because I was curious how they made the actress look like an amputee. After watching the bonus features I learned they used a green sleeve on the actress and keyed out the green. This is like what we were working with in Photoshop except not keying out the background.


After some research online I found that a small company called Engine Room worked on and created all the visual effects for Soul Surfer.

"The visual effects is what made the film," said the movie's director Sean McNamara.

With just 10 employees and nearly 30 outside artists, the company did the lion's share of the 750 visual effects shots in the film for less than $1 million."