Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Kinetic Typography

While I was working on the Dot Dot Dot re-creation, my friend showed me a cool animation that was done in a similar style. It's an animation of what's written in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (I think).


I don't think you could make all of the elements in After Effects (like the birds or the lines turning into figures). I think you would have to either do all of this in Flash (like the original Dot Dot Dot animation) or create certain elements in Flash or Photoshop and import them into After Effects in order to complete the video. But the movement of the text and basic shapes is definitely do-able.

The other video I found that was done in this style took the "I'm Mad as Hell" speech (I can't remember what movie it's from) and turned it into kinetic typography while playing the original audio underneath. I think this was the first example of kinetic typography I had seen before finding the Dot Dot Dot video. I really like that style of animation and I'd like to do my own, but I have no idea what pre-existing audio or text to base it off of. If anyone has any ideas, let me know...

2 comments :

  1. Wow, honestly parts of this video are quite beautiful. It's a wonderful message and animation, but the way the flowers are animated as well as the birds, and how the different words interchange are quite beautiful. How different is flash from after effects? And personally, I don't know how you eliminate certain letters, so how would you do that? Like in the assembly line, once the words hit cogs they disappear, so would you just turn off the opacity? I haven't been able to figure that out...

    But I really like the video and would be happy to help brainstorm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some elements are indeed prepared in Photoshop. We will actually create some flying birds exactly like those in the video next week using a simple expression but using some PS layers. The disappearing letters can either change opacity or more simply hide behind a mask around the cog.

    ReplyDelete